Friday, June 15, 2007

Heaven's Gain

Yesterday June 14, 2007 Ruth Graham went home to heaven. It was certainly heaven's gain. She and Billy were married 65 years.RACHEL ZOLL (AP Religion Writer)wrote today "When she agreed to marry Billy Graham, Ruth Bell Graham said she knew her life would "be lost in Bill's." For her generation, the pastor's wife was expected to work solely in service to her husband and his flock. There was no job title, no pay and enormous pressure to be perfect." Someone once said behind every great man is a worn out woman.She was a great support, encourager, prayer partner, and love of her husband. She touched so many lives through her writing and great job of raising children that are making their own impact in the world for Christ. For that I am truly thankful. I am also thankful for a great wife myself. My wife has stood with me for 32 years this past June 7. She has been such a support and encourager. She has been a persisitent intercessor for me as well as for our children. I can not imagine life or minstry without her. God has truly blessed me. Below is an article by Dr. Graham concerning his wife from Larry Ross Communications. I hope you will be inspired and moved to thankfulness. Pray for the Graham family. God Bless.



BILLY GRAHAM TRIBUTE TO RUTH GRAHAM
ON THE OCCASION OF HER DEATH JUNE 14, 2007
RELEASED JUNE 15, 2007

“My wife Ruth was the most incredible woman I have ever known. Whenever I was asked to name the finest Christian I ever met, I always replied, “My wife, Ruth.” She was a spiritual giant, whose unparalleled knowledge of the Bible and commitment to prayer were a challenge and inspiration to everyone who knew her. My favorite photograph shows her sitting on our front porch at sunrise, quietly reading her Bible and sipping coffee – her daily routine for many years. A night never went by, when we were together, without us holding hands and praying before we went to sleep.

Ruth also was a wonderful mother. Her task wasn’t easy since I was away from home so much, but she handled our children with both great love and wise discipline. She felt it was her calling, and without her willingness to bear the major responsibility for raising our children, my work simply would not have been possible. She spent hours every week teaching them the Bible and praying with each of them. She also was full of fun, always ready to play a joke on someone. Our children all knew that life was never dull with Ruth around!

She was committed also to her church and her community. She was a devout churchwoman who loved her Presbyterian heritage, which came from her parents who were medical missionaries in China. She was friends with several presidents’ wives and had been received on occasion by Queen Elizabeth II, but whenever she heard of anyone in our community who had a need, she always was there to help with food or flowers or in other ways. Many people went to her for advice and counsel, or just to pray with her, and she was a close friend to the wives of many associates.

Ruth loved sports and was quite athletic, although she rarely played athletic games herself. Years ago she was fixing a swing for some of our grandchildren, and when she climbed the tree to test the swing, it broke and she fell about fifteen feet. She fractured several bones (including a crushed vertebra), and was never quite the same physically after that. For years she suffered severe back pain and was hospitalized here in Asheville and at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester because of this and other ailments. She was a gentle, smiling, and kind person whose primary goal was to live for Christ and reflect His love. In her last days she talked repeatedly of Heaven, and although I will miss her more than I can possibly say, I rejoice that some day soon we will be reunited in the presence of the Lord she loved and served so faithfully.”



FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Melany Ethridge (214) 912-8934
Giles Hudson (469) 774-6377
A. Larry Ross (469) 774-6362

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home